Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Your Social Life - Bicoastal Edition



This week I've just become aware of this gallery in NYC, where you should go this Saturday because French photographer Eric Poitevin will be in the show. Poitevin is one of my favorite French photo artists (the others being Sophie Ristelhueber and Jean-Luc Moulène), and in real life an extraordinarily nice guy. I haven't seen him in well over a decade, and I'm a bit sad I can't be in NYC to see him at the opening. So, if you're in town, go to Theodore Gallery say hi for me! Also, if you can find the artist book he made on butterflies... someone stole my own copy years ago and I've been missing it ever since.
And, since you're in NYC and not me, please represent me at Marina Abramovic. I so wish I could see the show.

Anyway, closer to us in Los Angeles. For those of us who are done with our taxes, things will start early tomorrow with a group show at LA Louver where Olga Koumoundouros will have an opening at the same time as David Hockney and Charles Garabedian. I, alas, won't be able to attend, but if you're on the West Side, go and enjoy!
Friday is the opening of Carrol Dunham at Blum & Poe.
Saturday will be the usual mad dash all over town to try and see The Story of O at Otis, a show featuring 20 alumni of the school to celebrate the 20 years Roy Dowell has been the Fine Arts Chair at Otis. The show is co-curated by Nizan Shaked, among others.
On the opposite side of town China Art Objects presents Mark Hagen with Succession and Simultaneity and there's also Adam Janes and Erick Pereira with De Stijl Life.
In between in Culver City, Adam Pendleton opens at Roberts & Tilton. Methinks it would have made everybody's life easier if they had coordinated on Friday with Blum & Poe.

And, I almost forgot, if you're intellectually and architecturally inclined, there's a short symposium about Learning From Las Vegas at the PDC on Sunday afternoon, if you're not going to this marvel of SoCal suburbia, Valencia (see thereafter).

On Sunday there's Cal Arts open studios, a yearly ritual I usually cannot attend, in the past because of car accidents and/or work committments, this year because I'm spending the weekend doing my taxes all by myself, old school that I am. And I'm a bit sad I won't be able to attend because there seem to be quite a bit of interesting things to see.

Until then, you only have a few hours to answer the poll at the very bottom of this page. Have a great art-filled weekend everybody, that is, if you're not stuck at home doing your taxes of course.

[the tree pix is an installation shot of an Eric Poitevin exhibition at Galerie Nelson in Paris in 2007, found here.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.